You are here:

Keeping it legal (fundraising FAQs)


If you are offering or selling food, please check with your local council for any food safety regulations that may apply. Guidelines on food hygiene regulations can be found at 


You are responsible for whatever activity you undertake in support of Combat Stress.


You need to contact your local authority for a licence before you can run public, street and door-to-door collections.

Collections on a private property require the land or property owner’s permission.

All under 16s must be accompanied by an adult when collecting money for charity.

Please let us know if you are planning to leave a collection tin at a private property such as a shop, pub or club so we keep a record of where it is being held.


Selling alcohol at an event requires a licence.

If your venue is not licensed you will need to contact your local authority to obtain a temporary licence at least ten days before the event.

Please visit for more information.

Health and Safety

Remember to carry out a risk assessment on your venue.

Don’t forget to check there is wheelchair access.

Check first aid provision, fire safety equipment and emergency evacuation procedures are in place for your chosen venue.

For larger events you can contact the British Red Cross or St John Ambulance to arrange for trained first aiders to be present.

Always be careful with your own personal safety when carrying collection tins and money.

Lotteries and Raffles

The same laws and rules apply to lotteries and raffles. There are three types of lottery and raffle, and each has its own rules.

You do not require a licence for:

  1. Private lotteries or raffles

Definition: those held at a workplace or club and run by someone within the organisation.


  • The lottery or raffle can only be advertised and offered on the premises
  • Tickets must state price, name and address of the promoter, and who is eligible to participate


  1. Small lotteries or raffles where they are not the main focus

Definition: those held as part of a larger event that are not the main focus or draw


  • Cash prizes cannot be offered
  • The ticket sales and announcement of the results must all take place during the event
  • No more than £250 can be spent on buying the prizes but there is no limit to the value of any prizes donated

But you do need to register with your local council to obtain a license for:

  1. Public lotteries or raffles

Definition: those open to the public

OR with tickets sold outside of any event

OR with cash prizes

OR with over £250 spend on buying prizes

The rules regarding lotteries and raffles can be found at (for England, Scotland & Wales) and (for Northern Ireland).